The registration deadline for the 2024 CBO Training Program is just days away: Tuesday, January 9, 2024.
Register now to reserve your seat in this year’s cohort!
The Top FAQs about CBO
Held annually for over 15 years, CSDC’s CBO Training Program has provided in-depth training to hundreds of California charter school leaders.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) we have received about the program over the years:
A: No, in fact the majority of CBO Training participants studied something other than business, finance, or accounting at the undergraduate/graduate levels.
If you have–or are stepping into–a role that involves fiscal management and oversight responsibilities, then CBO Training is exactly the program you need to get up to speed.
And if you do have an MBA, consider the relevance of receiving charter-specific training:
This is the best professional development for charter school leadership I have ever been a part of. I recently finished my MBA and I learned more valuable, relevant information in this program than I did in the entire MBA program!
A: Developed and presented by CSDC’s team of charter school experts–including Founder & Executive Director, Eric Premack–the 15-week curriculum is delivered through a combination of:
- 13 weekly live online sessions held on Tuesday mornings
- 2 two-day in-person sessions in Sacramento on January 23-24, 2024 and April 2-3, 2024. In-person sessions provide participants with opportunities to connect with teaching staff and fellow cohort members and to work on program projects more closely with others.
Topics can vary from year-to-year depending upon training needs and can include:
- The California Charter School Context
- History of California Charter Schools
- The California TK-12 Education System
- Charter School History and Politics
- Advocacy for Charter School Leaders
- Charter School Funding
- Attendance Accounting
- Introduction to the Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) and LCFF Calculator
- State and Federal Categorical Funding Program Management
- Charter School Cash Flow, Reconciliation, and Management
- Multi-year Budgeting and Financial Planning
- Accounting and Auditing Fundamentals
- Charter School Accountability
- Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP)
- People, Operations, and Programs Management
- Employment Law Considerations
- Sustainable Compensation Plans
- Labor Relations
- Liability and Workers' Compensation
- Special Education
A: There are numerous high-quality back-office providers that can support charter schools with a variety of needs such as accounting, payroll processing, and HR compliance.
If your school is currently working with a trusted provider, that’s great! CBO Training can be a way to deepen those relationships and ensure that you’re asking the right questions and working from a common set of information and assumptions.
In addition to better supporting your school’s partnerships, CBO Training can also be personally empowering as it provides:
- Networking: Make strong connections with CSDC staff and charter school senior leaders from across the state of California–new colleagues you can rely on when you’re facing a difficult challenge or need to brainstorm.
- Career Progression: Numerous participants have utilized the CBO Training program to advance their careers. Learn how CBO Training was an important career milestone for two participants, Kennedy Hilario, CEO of ACE Charter Schools, and Jason Sample, Superintendent of Gateway Community Charter Schools.
- Context: Content and instructors who have been expert voices in the sector for over thirty years help participants better understand how, and why, so many protocols and regulations are structured the way they are and provide insight into how to best navigate mitigating factors.
A: The content of the program continues to evolve as the regulations within the sector change; best practices have also adapted and CSDC’s expert instructors have worked closely with charter leaders to understand how to continue to evolve these to ensure compliance.
We’ve heard from charter leaders that returning every 3-4 years can be extremely beneficial, and see many veteran leaders and alumni return to the program.
A: While you need not be a CSDC Member to attend, 2024 CBO Training program fees are significantly discounted for CSDC Member schools and include:
- Over 60 hours of instructor-led trainings, including presentations by CSDC’s expert staff
- Scaffolded curriculum developed by CSDC, including access to slide decks, resources, handouts, and templates
- Real-world scenarios and case studies from California charter schools
- Relationship-building and networking activities with dozens of California charter school operations and finance leaders
- 15 weeks of weekly live sessions including 2 two-day in-person workshops
- Weekly cohort group meetings with participating schools in your area
- Regular open office hours with lead instructors
- Weekly self-assessments to check for learning
- Guided budget project informed by years of experience with expert feedback on individual submissions
- Option of earning up to 6 continuing education units (CEU)
Seats Are Limited!
Register by January 9! Learn more at www.chartercenter.org/cbo.